Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Soul Surfer - The Movie

Saw Soul Surfer on Sunday and it was great. Bethany Hamilton, a great surfer who was on her way to being sponsored, lost her arm to a shark attack. After it healed, she decided she wanted to start surfing again. But it is difficult only having one arm and trying to compete. She thinks she wants to walk away but she keeps being called back. Will she find what she needs to live her dream in spit of her missing arm?

Such a great story and message of dreams and relying on God. She trusts in Him to help her through the tuff time of trying to adjust to her new way of life. The movie has great examples of family sticking together and helping and caring for one another. They support Bethany and are always there for her.

I find it unfortunate that if I go on imdb or Rotten Tomatoes, Soul Surfer has a bad rating (about 6 stars on imdb and 53% on Rotten Tomatoes). I found it to be really good and don't see a lot of the stuff they were complaining about. In one on Rotten Tomatoes, though, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky said "The film offers motivational catch phrases instead of any real insights into Hamilton's character or the religion that the film constantly reminds us is so central to her life." I didn't see the catch phrases and I thought it showed she was religious and knew God but, I will have to admit, I wish there had been more (or maybe I assumed there would be more) faith elements but I still thought it was really good. I didn't see the poor acting that some of the reviews talked about (some said it was a poor script and another said that is was hard to see past Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt and see Bethany's parents). But, other reviews talked about the great surfer scenes and I have to agree. They were stunning and interestingly captured. I really want to buy it when it comes out and I can't wait to get the book (I'm getting it for Easter but I can't start reading it until then). The movie showed that despite your limitations, you can do the things you dream of, "through the One that gives me strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment