Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crystal Lies

"A Son's Addiction.
A Mother's Heartbreak.
A Family's Crisis."
Bookworm's Ranking - 3 Worms
Storyline - Glennis had the perfect life. An attorney husband, a daughter with a full ride through college, a loving son, a house in a nice neighbourhood, and an expensive car. Then her son, Jacob, starts using drugs. As she tries to help him, her marriage falls apart and she is blamed not only for her divorce but accused of enabling her son. As Glennis seeks help and adjusts to her new life in a crummy appartment, she wonders where God is in this, why it is happening, and how she can truly help her son.

Author - Melody Carson

Publisher - WaterBrook Press
Age Group - 16 and up

Content - *May Contain Spoilers* Glennis's son uses drugs. She fights to help Jacob but has a hard time doing what needs to be done. Jacob's dad yells at him and shakes him once, later threatens to have him arrested. Glennis sticks up for herself and finds a way to heal and continue on.

Personal Opinion - The storyline was good and interesting and the characters seemed true in my opinion but it was they way the story was told that made me not like it very much. The author gave the information straight forward which kept me from fully feeling the events and emotions in the story. It also dwelt a long time on the woman's divorce in the beginning and, when we got to see her interacting with her son, I wish there had been more to it in the end. It did pull at my heart strings during the marital stuff because I know people who have been through those tough divorces or those kind of people around them. I also have an appreciation for the ending. Despite the fact I pray, I still worry and try to control things on my own, like Glennis did, so that really taught me something in the end.

Buy - Amazon, Barnes and Noble,

Links - Learn more about the book and author here.

Special Notes - Read my other reviews of Melody Carson's books:
                         On the Runway: CIAO Review
                         The Secret of Samantha McGregor: Bad Connection Review

To read, comment, and rate this and other reviews, stop by Bookworm.

No comments:

Post a Comment