Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bull Rider

"Eight Seconds of Danger...
A Lifetime of Honor."
Bookworm's Ranking - 4.5 Worms
Storyline - Cam O'Mara's family has a history of bull riding, but thinks you would have to be crazy to get on one of those animals, preferring to stay on his skate board. But when his older brother, Ben, returns home from Iraq, injured from an IED, Cam would do anything for him. Even if it means getting on the one bull no one has ridden, with fifteen thousand dollars being offered to the first one who can stay on for a full 8 seconds.
Author - Suzanne Morgan Williams

Publisher - Margaret K. Mcelderry; Imprint of Simon and Schuster's Children's Division

Age Group - 15 and up

Content - *May Contain Spoilers* Cam wants to hate the people who hurt his brother but is encouraged not too. He tries to help his brother in anyway he can but wants to run too because of how hard it is to see him after the attack. Lies multiple times, sometimes even encouraged and supported by other adults, but usually gets in trouble. Tries to commit fraud, as well as attempts to purchase a fake ID, and isn't rewarded for it but isn't punished much for it either.

Personal Opinion - When I saw the cover, I was intrigued. When I heard what it was about, I was excited. When I read it, I was blown away. I read this book within days of starting it, finding it hard to put down and wanting to know what happened next. I used to love to watch bull riding, still do, even though I tend to cheer for the bull and not the rider, which is what initially made me want to read this. But it is so much more than just bull riding. It is about a young man's struggle to handle life after his brother gets hurt and what he is willing to do to help him. This book was wonderful, my only complaints being I wish the friends had been developed more earlier in the book and some St. Jude medals were used more like a good-luck charm instead of how they really should be used (but any other time God or Christian stuff was brought up, it was very respectful and accurate, so I don't think the author means anything negative with this use). A great book with a wonderful story, action, growth, learning, and characters. Oh, and bull riding.

Buy - Amazon
Links - Learn more about the book and author here.
Special Notes - A list of awards and articles are available too on the author's website.
To read, comment, and rate this and other reviews, stop by Bookworm.

No comments:

Post a Comment