Monday, March 14, 2011

The Star Trilogy

Bookworm's Ranking - 3-4 Worms
Storyline - Book 1 - The Dragon Boy -A boy with no name and no place to go is finally about to make his dream come true to work next to the kingdom's dragon, Star. The boy gets a name and begins to make friends and enemies. Soon the boy is given a great task to wash the dragon and learns many secrets, and starts to get a few of his own. But when one of these secrets get out, there's trouble. What will happen to him now?
Book 2 - The Dragon of Two Hearts - Michael, the boy now a man, has heard about a dragon terrorizing the kingdom of Gladur Nock. As he heads that way to face it, he learns about the desperate plight of the people and a cruel king. He is taken to train with other warriors to face the dragon but, when he meets the beautiful princess, he's not too sure if he wants to go to his death. Can he defeat the evil Scorch? And, if he does, how will he concur the evil king?
 
Author - Donald Samson

Age Group - 11 or 12 and up

Positive - Interesting books. Star and the boy have a great love for each other. The boy stands by Star no matter what. When Michael goes after the evil dragon in book 2, he is willing to give up his life in order to save others. He learns great lessons though about who he is and how even he is not as good as he claims to be. He learns other lessons along with that but I will leave some of those for the reader to find.

Negative -I wish the boy hadn't given in to his angry so easily or at least learned that sometimes it isn't right to return the favor in the first book and, in the second, he planed to get even with a bully. I think you are suppose to get that the main character changes in several aspects of himself but it didn't mention this feeling of revenge specifically. Also, I wasn't too big on the idea of a dragon going back and forth of being good, then, after a time, returning to being wild. It just didn't seem right to make it sound that it was okay to go back and forth of being good and evil. They kind of made a point with this but I still wasn't too found of it. Two bad guys also talk about women in terms of what land and status they can get by marring them.

Writing - The books are written with simple wording and easy vocabulary. But the pace do differ between them. The first one was good. It moved at an alright pace and the characters were nicely created (I did find it strange how the boy kept saying "my love" to the dragon because that doesn't seem like something a boy would say but I don't know). Book two, though, seemed like it was a little slow in getting to the main story but their was a lot of information to go through to understand certain things latter on. But it didn't capture my attention very well. When it came to the time after the man fought the dragon, I got more interested and the story picked up pace.

Personal Opinion - I liked book 1 more than book two, mostly because I thought it was slower and it didn't capture my interest as much until much later on in the book. The books are clean and simply told. I kind of wish the main character didn't grow up by book two because I think kids like to read books about kids (at least that is what I assume because of how many book I've read that are for young adults that have young adults as the main character). Even though book two was much slower and less liked than book one, I am curious to see what happens in book 3 so I think I might read it but I am not so excited for it that I will go right out and get it as soon as I can.

Links - Learn more about the books and author at: http://www.thedragonboy.com/ .

Awards - For book 1 - Winner of the Moonbeam Awards gold medal for Best First Book in 2009. For the Mom's Choice Award, silver medal for Fantasy, Myth, and Legends. A finalist for the Eric Hoffer Book Awards in Young Adult Fiction in 2010.
For book 2 - The silver medal in Young Adult Fantasy in the Moonbeam Awards in 2010. For the Mom's Choice Awards, silver medal in Fantasy, Myth, and Legends. In the Austin Waldorf School Children's Choice Award, Silver Medal in the 5th-6th Grades category.

No comments:

Post a Comment